Thursday, May 30, 2013

Siempre Mas

1/5/2013

"Siempre Mas."

On our final morning, I woke up early and made pancakes for the entire group while others cooked eggs. After a tearful goodbye to Sr. Gloria and Lynnette, we got on the bus at 10, and headed to the airport. The airport was a zoo, but we made it through in time to catch our flight. Leaving was very bittersweet. My time here as taught me so much about El Salvador, myself, and the world around me. I dont know when if ever I will be able to return, but I am excited to call upon this experience to help move me and guide me towards my future, whatever it will be.
On our final day Brittany and Ellie told us a story about their first trip to El Salvador. They had built a house for a woman and her family, and the work had seemed endless. Every time they would clear a pile of rocks, they would return, only to find more. Their mantra for the week became "siempre mas," words in Spanish that mean "always more." There will always be more rocks to clear. There will always be more work to do, things to learn, places to discover, and people to meet. Siempre mas.
I am sad to leave El Salvador and all the wonderful people that I have met, but I am so excited to return to the U.S. and share these amazing stories and experiences with my family and friends at home. It has been a long nine days, and its great to be back!

Until next time,

Julia Marie

The mural in the dining room at the volunteer house (painted by a Villanova professor)

Our group on the steps at the volunteer house

Fernando (the housekeeper's son) with Ellie

Me and Joleman

Brittany, Lynnette, and Ellie

Shannon, Mackenzie, Lynnette, Hiba and Morgan

Dan, Deena, Lynnette, Taylor and Sr. Gloria

Ellie, Sr. Gloria, and Brittany