Tuesday, June 7, 2011

The Protest Continues...

The first day at my internship went well! The people here are very nice, but very busy, and they talk really fast! Today is my second day, and I am starting to get the hang of things in the news room here at the TV station. 
I work under the three editors, Alejandro, Alexis, and Patricio. When I arrive each day, I take a seat at my work station and then they email me leads to write. When I write a lead it is 3 paragraphs long (in Spanish!), and I research on the internet to find the most recent information. 
Yesterday I wrote 4 leads, one about Lady Gagas CD being banned in Lebanon, another about Dominique Strauss-Kahn, a third about Kate Middleton, and a fourth about the Iranian women's soccer team being banned from the World Cup this summer. Today so far I have written one lead about Anthony Weiner, the NY Representative. 
Its kind of cool because I am writing the first draft of the news that will be read later tonight! Im not writing the breaking news stories about the fire, the volcano, or the protests, but it is interesting nonetheless! Writing is new for me, I am more used to camera work, but I am enjoying it. The people in the news room are so nice, and like to ask me questions about how to pronounce certain English words, where I come from, etc. 
School is still closed due to the protests, and we found out today from some of the Chilean students we know that some of the students involved have been camping out inside La Casa Central since last Thursday, and intend to keep doing so until reforms are passed! However, that may take a while, so we are really glad they are letting the international students continue with their studies while the protest continues on! This weekend I venture to Buenos Aires with some of the other students...wish me luck!
Viva La Chile!

Julia Marie


Here's a picture of me and some of my American and Chilean friends out at our favorite evening hangout - Cafe Journal!